Direction: Read the following passages carefully and choose the most appropriate answer to the questions out of the four alternatives.
The public sector banks are witnessing in India a period of transition and are at crossroads, where they without giving up social responsibility, should also remain healthy. They need to undertake risky experiments yet perform it innovatively in a way it does not fail. They should make forays into new areas which are rarely tread by them and lose no emerging opportunities. It should be understood that absence of any bad advance is no sign of efficient banking system. It only indicates immense conservatism. However this is no guarantee for profit. There should be a balance between liquidity and risk. Past sins should be forgotten. Novel and pragmatic techniques should be adopted without which banks would be in danger.
MEANING OF WORDS/PHRASES
(1) transition (N.) : the process/ a period of changing from one state/condition to another
(2) cross roads (N.) : a crisis situation/point in time when a critical decision must be made
(3) forays (N.) : an attempt to become involved in a different activity/profession
(4) tread (V.) : used; attempted
(5) conservatism (N.) : the tendency to resist great/ sudden change
(6) liquidity (N.) : the state of owning things of value that can easily be exchanged for cash
(7) pragmatic (Adj.) : solving problems in a practical and sensible way rather than by fixed ideas/theories
(8) novel (Adj.) : different from anything known before; new, interesting and often seeming slightly strange
(9) penchant (N.) : a special liking for something
(10) at the cross roads (Id.) : at an important point