Discount


  1. 10% discount and then 20% discount in succession is equivalent to total discount of
    1. 28%
    2. 15%
    3. 30%
    4. 24%

  1. View Hint View Answer Discuss in Forum

    Single equivalent discount = P + Q −
    P x Q
    %
    100

    Correct Option: A

    Single equivalent discount = P + Q −
    P x Q
    %
    100

    Single equivalent discount = 10 + 20 −
    10 × 20
    %
    100

    Single equivalent discount = (30 – 2)% = 28%


  1. Two successive discounts of 10% and 20%, equals a single discount of
    1. 30%
    2. 25%
    3. 28%
    4. 29%

  1. View Hint View Answer Discuss in Forum

    Single equivalent discount = x + y −
    xy
    %
    100

    Correct Option: C

    Single equivalent discount = x + y −
    xy
    %
    100

    Single equivalent discount = 10 + 20 −
    10 × 20
    % = 28%
    100



  1. Successive discounts of 30% and 20% is equivalent to a single discount of
    1. 50%
    2. 40%
    3. 44%
    4. 10%

  1. View Hint View Answer Discuss in Forum

    Use the below formula to calculate the Single equivalent discount.

    Single equivalent discount = D1 + D2
    D1× D2
    %
    100

    Correct Option: C

    Use the below formula to calculate the Single equivalent discount.

    Single equivalent discount = D1 + D2
    D1× D2
    %
    100

    Single equivalent discount = 30 + 20 −
    30 × 20
    %
    100

    ⇒  Single equivalent discount = 50 – 6 = 44%


  1. A shopkeeper marks the price of an article at ₹ 80. What will be the selling price, if he allows two successive discounts of 5% each?
    1. ₹ 72.2
    2. ₹ 72
    3. ₹ 85
    4. ₹ 7.2

  1. View Hint View Answer Discuss in Forum

    Single equivalent discount = 5 + 5 −
    25
    %
    100

    Alternate method to solve this question :
    Here, M.P. = 80, D1 = 5%, D2 = 5%, S.P. = ?
    S.P. = M.P.
    100 − D1
    100 − D2
    100100

    S.P. = 80
    100 − 5
    100 − 5
    100100

    Correct Option: A

    Single equivalent discount = 5 + 5 −
    25
    %
    100

    Single equivalent discount = 9
    3
    =
    39
    %
    44

    ∴  S.P. = 80 ×
    361
    = ₹ 72.2
    400

    Alternate method to solve this question :
    Here, M.P. = 80, D1 = 5%, D2 = 5%, S.P. = ?
    S.P. = M.P.
    100 − D1
    100 − D2
    100100

    S.P. = 80
    100 − 5
    100 − 5
    100100

    S.P = 80 ×
    95
    ×
    95
    = ₹ 72.2
    100100



  1. Two successive discounts of 70% and 30% are equivalent to a single discount of
    1. 75%
    2. 79%
    3. 100%
    4. 89%

  1. View Hint View Answer Discuss in Forum

    Single equivalent discount = 70 + 30 −
    70 × 30
    %
    100

    Correct Option: B

    Single equivalent discount = 70 + 30 −
    70 × 30
    %
    100

    Single equivalent discount = (100 – 21)% = 79%
    2nd Method
    After a discount of 70%, remaining price is just 30. On this 30%, another discount of 30% is given which will be equal to 9 so, total discount = 70% + 9% =79%.