Home » Verbal Reasoning » Statement and Assumption » Question

Direction: In each question below is given a statement followed by three assumption numbered I, II and III. An assumption is something supposed or taken for granted. You have to consider the statement and following assumption and decide which of the assumption is implicit in the statement, then decide which of the answer (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E) is the correct answer.

1. Statement:
    "Why are only highprofile people considered to be adventurous? The villagers in India, who have no buses, walk barefoot for miles on dusty, untarred roads. Isn't that more adventurous than rafting or gliding?"- View of a person
    Assumptions:
    I. It is a Herculean task to walk barefoot for miles on dusty untarred roads.
    II. Rafting and gliding are considered adventurous by the people.
    III. Walking barefoot for miles on dusty untarred roads is not considered adventurous by the people.
    1. Only I and II
    2. Only II and III
    3. Only I and III
    4. All I, II and III
    5. None of these
Correct Option: D

The tone of the statement implies that, in the speaker's opinion, walking barefoot for miles on dusty roads should be considered adventurous. Hence, the speaker must be assuming I. To convince others about his opinion he makes comparison between walking barefoot rafting gliding. Why? He must be assuming the assumptions III and II also.

Your comments will be displayed only after manual approval.