Home » Data Interpretation » Data Sufficiency » Question

Direction: Each of the questions below consists of a question and two statements numbered I and II given below it. You have to decide whether the data provided in the statements are sufficient to answer the question. Read both the statements and Read both the statements and give answer

1. How much minimum marks will be required to pass an examination?
    I. Student A secured 32% marks in that examination and he failed by 1 mark. Student B secured 36% marks in the same examination and his marks were 1 more than the minimum pass marks.
    II. Student A secured 30% of full marks in the examination and he failed by 2 marks. If he had secured 5 more marks his percentage of marks would have been 40%.
    1. If the data in statement I alone are sufficient to answer the question, while the data in statement I alone are not sufficient to answer the question.
    2. If the data in statement II alone are sufficient to answer the question, while the data in statement I alone are not sufficient to answer the question.
    3. If the data either in statement I alone or in statement II alone are sufficient to answer the question.
    4. If the data even in both statements I and II together are not sufficient to answer the question.
Correct Option: C

As per the given all details in above question , we can say
From statement I,
32% + 1 = 36% − 1 = Minimum pass marks
⇒ 36% - 32% = 1 + 1 ⇒ 4% = 2 ⇒ 2% = 1 marks
∴ Minimum pass marks = 16 + 1 = 17
From statement II,
Minimum pass marks = 30% + 2 and
(40 − 30)% = 5 ∴ 30% = 15
∴ Minimum pass marks = 15 + 2 = 17
Hence, either A or B alone is sufficient.

Your comments will be displayed only after manual approval.