Home » Data Interpretation » Data Sufficiency » Question

Direction: Each of the questions below consists of a question and two statements numbered I and II given below it. You have to decide whether the data provided in the statements are sufficient to answer the question. Read both the statements and Read both the statements and give answer

1. What is the sum which earned interest?
    I. The total simple interest was $ 7000 after 7 years.
    II. The total of sum and simple interest was double of the sum after 5 years.
    1. If the data in statement I alone are sufficient to answer the question, while the data in statement I alone are not sufficient to answer the question.
    2. If the data in statement II alone are sufficient to answer the question, while the data in statement I alone are not sufficient to answer the question
    3. If the data either in statement I alone or in statement II alone are sufficient to answer the question.
    4. If the data even in both statements I and II together are not sufficient to answer the question.
    5. Combining statement I and statement II
Correct Option: E

On the basis of above given details in question , we get
Let the sum be Rs. P.
From statement I , Simple Interest (S.I.) = Rs. 7000 and T = 7 years.
From statement II , Sum + Simple Interest (S.I.) for 5 years = 2 x Sum ⇒ P + Simple Interest (S.I.) for 5 years = 2P
⇒ Sum ( P ) = Simple Interest (S.I.) for 5 years.
Now, Simple Interest (S.I.) for 7 years = Rs. 7000.
Simple Interest (S.I.) for 1 year = Rs. 7000 / 7 = Rs. 1000.
Hence , statement I and statement II are needed to obtain the answer .

Your comments will be displayed only after manual approval.